So, I finally tried out this technique that I had read about a very long time ago. Here is how you do it:
1. Spritz glossy cardstock with water using a spray bottle.
2. Using an Aqua Painter pick up refill ink and smear it in sections onto spritzed cardstock.
3. Repeat smearing refill ink but with another color.
4. Sprinkle salt on the wet painted cardstock.
5. Lightly spritz with water.
6. Let air dry or set with heat tool.
7. Rub of salt crystals and stamp as desired.
All supplies for this Here Kitty Kitty birthday card are from SU! Yes, there is glitter on this card--just a few touches on the party hat.
Double click on the close up of the kitty see a close up of the custom piece of salted background paper.