Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fabric Friday

I am a few hours early for Fabric Friday, but what the heck here we go.  What do you get when you mix a canvas remnant from the fabric store, Spice Cake Designer Fabric from Stampin' Up!, and the Petal Cone Bigz L Die?  A very whimsical big flower pillow!


I cut six heart shapes using the Petal Cone Bigz L Die in my Big Shot.  Yes, the Big Shot can cut fabrics with ease.  It's important to remember that if the die does not have any scorelines you can cut up to eight layers of fabric at a time.  If it does have scorelines, which this die does, you should only cut three layers at a time.  

To assemble the flower I stitched each heart piece to the next using the "tab" piece that is part of the die cut.  I pleated and top stitched each heart shape in half to create some dimension and then used fusible fabric adhesive to adhere the scallops behind each heart.  Once those steps were complete I top stitched the outer edge of the six heart flower.  To attach the flower to the pillow front I did some more top stitching but only between each heart thus leaving little pockets.

When making pillows I like to go the quick and easy route which is to not include a zipper.  Instead I add enough fabric in the pillow back pieces to overlap and then tuck (shove) the pillow form through.  For this pillow I decided to also add a quick gusset pleat to each corner giving the pillow a more box shape.

The added tag is made from a woodsheet.  I stamped the large Hello Doily background stamp for some color.  The handmade stamp comes from another new set called Creatively Yours.  It's an eight piece set that is perfect for you if you love to create holiday gifts.  You can find it on page 162 in the Idea Book and Catalog.
Thanks for stopping by to see another Fabric Friday.

Happy craftin, Elizabeth

4 comments:

  1. WOW!! This pillow is totally awesome!! I am loving all your fabric projects and of course all your work!! I will be featuring this pillow on My Crafty Picks #31 with a link back to your blog on 9-4-11. Make sure to stop by on Sunday to check out all the picks and to pick up your Blog Badge for being featured too!!

    If you wish to decline please email me at trbauer@insightbb.com

    Take care
    Tiffany Bauer
    www.mycraftyworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful project! I love your attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely fabulous!! I love the folded over pocket instead of a zipper. Zippers and I have a mutual hate relationship when it comes to sewing. LOL!

    Hugs,
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful pillow. My son & his fiance have been wanting new couch pillows and this might be just the one to make. TFS

    ReplyDelete