Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fabric Friday

As of 1/27/12 a tutorial is available for this apron please click to here for the link.

How about a demi apron for the holidays made from the Holly Berry Bouquet Designer Fabrics from Stampin' Up!?  This apron is fully lined with a contrasting fabric and is totally adorable with the rows of ruffles and buttons.

To easily cut the scallop edged ruffles I used the Perfect Setting Bigz Die (retired) from Stampin' Up!  I placed a fold on the edge of the cupcake cozy section of the die to get a double wide scallop piece.  Then I stitched three of those pieces together to form one long scalloped strip.  After I gathered the strips to fit the front of the apron and top stitched them on with out turning under any edges--I wanted the shabbiness.  I did this with each print to create three ruffled rows.

For a fun added element I hand-stitched a row of coordinating buttons to the top row of ruffles.  Once I had the front of the apron completed I cut a piece of contrasting fabric to fully line the back and to add visual and actual weight to the overall piece.  I stitched the right sides together, clipped and trimmed the curves, turned it right sides out, pressed, and then top stitched all around the outside edge.  

For the waist band and apron ties I cut three strips of a second contrasting fabric.  The middle strip was lined with interfacing while the sides were not.  The entire waistband/ties were pressed and then top stitched to complete the apron.
For added fun I included a hand stamped tag.  I used a woodsheet, a little cardstock, and the stamp set called Creatively Yours.  I clipped the tag onto the top of the waistband with a Vintage Trinket pin adn then the apron was ready to give as a gift.

Hop on over to Passionately Artistic and Simply Designing for fun linking parties to see more clever hand made ideas.


Happy stitchin', Elizabeth

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I love it! It turned out so very pretty, and I loved the pin you created. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me with your creativity.
    ~ Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so pretty! Thank you for sharing.
    Jenn
    http://housewivesofriverton.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so in love with this apron. Would you mind telling me if you would be willing to make one for me and telling me how much it would cost? I know it's a lot to ask but I wanted to give it a try.

    Please let me know (laura2471@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete