Friday, September 9, 2011

Fabric Friday

Greetings and happy Fabric Friday.  When working with fabric one thing I like to do is to challenge myself exactly how I can fit die cut fabric pieces together and how to make something to use for everyday or for the holidays.  Today's Fabric Friday project meets all three of those ideas.  I used the Pennant Bigz XL Die (retired) to cut my Deck the Halls Designer Fabric from Stampin' Up! which is perfect for the holidays; however it's just neutral enough to work in my home any time of the year.


This runner is made up of 50 large pennant shapes arranged in two rows of 25.  I was able to cut six pennants from each fat quarter piece of fabric giving me 18 from each Designer Fabric package.  In all I used three full packs of Deck the Halls Designer Fabric.

First I stitched the pennants in a "point up" then "point down" manner with wrong sides together.  Once both rows were complete I pressed open all the seams and then stitched both rows, right sides, together.  Next, I pressed the long center seam open and then laid the runner out on muslin to create a pattern for a lining.  With right sides together I pinned and then stitched around the outer edges leaving an eight inch opening.  I trimmed the corners, turned the runner right side out through the 8" opening, and then pressed the edges.  Last step was to hand stitch the opening adn give it one last pressing.  The finished runner measures 91" long by 15 1/2" wide.  

Happy fabric craftin, Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment