Wednesday, August 14, 2013

2013 Artisan Finalist Project #5

Welcome to the fifth day of the Finalists' Blog Hop! For one of my cards I wanted to do something out of the norm and go for a different card base and size. So, I grabbed a piece of watercolor paper and set out to make something cool. I saw a tiny add in a Brighton brochure and was instantly inspired with an idea.

I started with the fluffy Melon Mambo flower with a Basic Black stem and leaves. Then I needed to show it off so I had some fun with a technique I call watercolor wicking. You start with stamping images on wet watercolor paper and then add more water and let the images wick. Once the paper is dry repeat with a little less water. Once that step is dry stamp again for crisp images. After I finished the stamping I stitched a black border. I love the few Basic Rhinestones on this card. One in the center of the flower and two on the leaves.
  • Stamps – Raining Flowers, Fabulous Phrases
  • Inks – Melon Mambo, Lucky Limeade, Summer Starfruit, Jet Black Staz On Pads
  • Paper – Water Color Paper, Melon Mambo, and Basic Black Card Stock
  • Accessories – 2 3/8” Scallop Circle Punch, 1¾” Scallop Circle Punch, 1 ¼” Scallop Circle Punch, 1 ¾” Circle Punch, Neutrals Buttons, Basic Rhinestones, Dazzling Diamonds Glitter, Stampin’ Dimensionals


  • To Julie Warnick
  • Other – Sewing Machine, Black Thread, Hair Spray (aerosol and cheap)
From Dara Gloden




7 comments:

  1. I will have to try this technique. Cute card! I really like the way you cut the leaves too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors and the cut-up leaves, with the rhinestones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun card! I love the flower and the different shape...Thank you for inspiring me to venture out and try something new!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing card! You are constantly inspiring me with your creations. I will definitely try "Watercolor Wicking"! The black stem, leaves and stitching paired with the bright colors is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, I hope you know that I think EVERYTHING you create is AMAZING!!! I have been a big fan for the past several years! You never cease to blow me away with your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This tall card is so stunning and majestic!! That flowers is gorgeous!! I think I need to pull out my watercolor brush!! :)

    ReplyDelete